Are deer dining on your beautiful daylily buds? Are they destroying your perennials and shrubs?
There are many products on the market now that claim to keep deer out of your gardens. The Viettes have been testing many of these products over the years and have come up with a few recommendations.
Our most important advice is to alternate repellents through the season!
Deer will eventually become accustomed to most repellents and then they will no longer be effective. Switch to a different repellent every 4 weeks or so.
Good Effective All Organic Deer Repellents
- Bobbex - comes in a ready-to-use pump spray. Repels by taste and odor. Spray foliage according to label directions.
- Bonide Repels-All - Great for discouraging many different kinds of critters! Granular form or liquid concentrate. Apply according to label directions.
- Deer Busters Brand Deer Repellent - repels deer with tastes and odors that are undetectable to humans. Made with highly-tested natural ingredients which are safe for use around pets and children. Deerbusters brand repellents form a long-lasting, year-round foliar spray for shrubbery, trees, flowers and ornamentals without discoloration or residue.
- Deer Scram - a ready to use granular formulation that is very easy to apply. Simply sprinkle as a protective barrier around your beds or plants to be protected according to the label directions. It is effective in all seasons and won't wash off in the rain. Odorless to humans!
- DeFence - comes in a ready to use spray. Spray plants according to label directions. Repels rabbits, too!
Other all-organic deer repellents:
- Bonide Hot Pepper Animal Repellent For fruit and vegetables
- Bonide Deer & Rabbit Repellent Deer, rabbits, & squirrels
Other repellents at your garden store:
- Bye Deer
- Not Tonight Deer
- Tree Guard - rain resistant - lasts over 1 1/2 months
- Repellex - systemic
- ProTec - long lasting
- Deer Away - lasts 2 months
- Get Away - Deer & Animals