Spring is the time to get some critical chores done around your water feature to promote a healthy and enjoyable pond season.
The following are some tips for getting your water garden ready for the new season.
- Clean organic matter from the pond bottom with a net or pond vacuum.
- Start some partial water changes monthly and add a water conditioner.
- Try not to completely drain and clean your pond because it destroys your ecosystem.
- Check tubing, connections, pumps, filters for obstruction if your pond was shut off in the winter.
- Replace UV bulbs, gaskets, and filter material if necessary.
- Turn on the pumps and check for leaks in water lines, streams, pond edge, and filter boxes.
- As you run your pond, add beneficial bacteria and barley straw extract to jump start your pond into a healthy ecosystem and to prevent algae bloom.
- Fish need careful inspection in springtime because of their dormancy in winter.
- This is a good time to add a medication as a preventative step and also salt.
- Start feeding a wheat germ based food when water temperature is above 45°.
- Products to replenish vitamins and minerals are also encouraged.
- Remove dead plant matter.
- Divide and re-pot plants.
- Fertilize plants to enjoy the maximum amount of growth and bloom in growing season.
Visit the forum labeled "Water Gardening" on our Viette Discussion Board. If you have water gardening or pond questions, please feel free to post them here.